Monday 28 June 2010

Up & Running...

Getting your name "out there" is probably the hardest thing to do when starting any new business venture, so I figured "in for a penny..." Well, I actually spent quite a few pennies & bagged myself a spot at a local wedding fayre with once again my usual low expectations - why is it so hard to be positive for yourself when you have an abundance of it for your friends & family!
Many weeks of planning & preparation led me up to the big day & there I was - all alone & touting my wares! How ridiculous, but I was quite nervous! Honestly, put me in front of a roomful of people & I'll deliver a business presentation with no concerns, but give me the opportunity to talk enthusiastically about something I love & I go to pieces!

I even made the bunting!

It was an interesting day & I met with lots of people, some of whom understood exactly what I was offering, whilst for others, the concept of hiring vintage china for any occasion seemed quite alien - is it really so odd?


I was delighted with the colour theme. Having recently acquired some beautiful floral china with a soft yellow colour, I thought the combination of yellow & pink might stand out. Neither of these are what I would describe as MY colours, but this isn't about me, it's about tempting others! The palette was quite pleasing & I had some wonderful comments.


I made some good potential business contacts & had far & away more interest than I thought & as a result of the fayre have received my first bookings - yeay! I can now officially say "Booking into 2011" - who'd have thought! I learnt some lessons from the day - one of which was - HAVE MORE CONFIDENCE, but overall I am glad that I took the plunge - no looking back now!

That pretty much brings me up to speed with the business, it's early days & I am already looking at other ways to improve & make me stand out & I will enjoy sharing with you.

Probably the most exciting piece of news is that I have followers - 2 of them in fact! Thank you to Carole & to Lisa at noodleBubble for your comments - please stick with me & we can go on a little adventure together!

S x



3 comments:

  1. You go girl..so glad you had a good day,from little things big things grow, it will happen for you I am sure,the table looked lovely.You must feel so proud that you got our there and gave it your all,can't wait to watch your little business grow,be blessed and enjoy the ride.Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey just discovered your blog while browsing through the comments for shabby swap
    I will follow you, good luck with everything
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi hun...it's Tilly Rose here hunny!
    Sorry I can't access your email you sent to me so wondered if you could email me again at this address karen@tilly-rose.co.uk

    very excited that we are swap buddies!
    Hugs
    karen x x x

    ReplyDelete